Friday, December 3, 2010

The Beginning - Santorini



I found myself back at one of my favorite and magical places this September, Santorini. This time we stayed in Oia, where it was a little more relaxed and plenty spectacular. If you have never been there, I recommend you go at least once in your life. It is Heaven on Earth to me. Of course, it is over crowded, and over priced, which is not my thing, but going late or early in the season is an improvement. I dream of going in the winter, when it is empty of tourists and full of artists and writers. When there is brisk air and I watch the fishing boats bundled in my coat instead of bathed in hot sun. Even better would be to go to all the places I feel I have missed out on so far in the Cyclades. The islands that are so close, but people just don't go to because they haven't heard of them yet. Maybe Anafi as just as amazing as Santorini. Then there is the dream of Amorgos, Serifos, and the dream of dreams... just staying put on one of my favorite islands by far, Sifnos. Where there could truly be time to explore and settle in, cook food from the market and better yet, meet the locals. I am happiest when traveling when I feel like I am having an authentic experience, not the same one everyone else is having. Already I am dreaming of new places, Spain, Ireland, Mexico, but the call to Greece is unending for me. No sooner am I back, happy to be resettled into my life, that I dream of my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment