Saturday, February 14, 2015

My Valentine


This is what my sweet husband works on most days. The building of wooden surfboards, skateboards and stand up paddle boards. Because not only is Chad a skilled craftsman, but also an artist, he decided to hand draw the designs on these two boards with paint markers. It's crazy and detailed and beautiful. Just his style.

Because Chad is crafty and creative and will pretty much do whatever I ask, he agreed to help me by being a guinea pig for my Silhouette Stories class. We spent the afternoon journaling the main assignment and this is what he came up with. I love journaling with others, but it's extra fun seeing how your spouse takes instruction and in what wildly personal way it gets interpreted. To return the favor I was a good sport with feedback on what was/wasn't working, where we needed more time, etc. All in all a good time was had by all.

First stage of the process. Journal writing, paint, collage, mono printing and mark making.

The Silhouette gets defined.

Filling in and around the silhouettes, and adding line work and lettering. Full disclosure: Chad wants to work his page some more, but as both student and teacher's helper, he did a great job. There is a story in his piece as well as an intensity and intimacy between the figures. I'll keep you updated as it evolves!

No comments:

Post a Comment