Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Here are the pieces I made in my recent intro to Silversmithing class. Taking this class was a dream I've had for as long as I can remember. My father made jewelry in the 70's before I was born and when I was an infant. I didn't grow up with him, but I did inherit his jewelry and have worn his pieces throughout the years. I remember wearing them as far back as middle school, looking at the rings on my fingers, the cuff on my wrist, and wondering how they were made. Now I have so much more appreciation for the massive attention to detail and laborious steps it take to finish one piece. And this is coming from a very patient person. It is definitely not a medium conducive to instant gratification. But the zen of sawing, the success of solder working it's magic, and making something from nothing is quite appealing. Needless to say I am about to start my next class.
Look at this crazy weekend weather we had! The trees were still a mix of summer green and fall gold and red when the first snow hit. Beautiful to see those rich colors contrasted with the stark, white snow. Now it is back in the 60's in typical Colorado fashion. It was a bit of an early snow, but so enjoyable. I went on my first "winter" walk of the season taking pictures of fresh snow and autumn leaves in the cold morning. The rest of the weekend was spent in the studio, journaling and painting. Looking forward to many more such winter weekends.

2 comments:

  1. gosh...you've got winter already here in lisbon is a late summer! too much sun now. love your colors ...and the jewelry is so esquisite. i'd love to do some soldering workshop too. best

    ReplyDelete