Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What a weekend


What a full weekend I had! First off I went to see a great movie, Away We Go. It's been a while since I laughed so hard at the movies. Not only was it a funny film, but it was heartwarming and bittersweet. Also a good reminder of how differently we choose to live. As individuals, as couples, as parents, as employees, as employers, as artists, as people. Makes me really appreciate the paths I've taken in life. The little and big ways I have tried to do things on my own terms, and not just take a path or live my life without questions.
On Saturday Chad and I headed up to Loveland again to see the Wayne Thiebaud exhibit. I was surprised to find such a known artist showing his work in such a sleepy little museum, but I am so grateful for it. I was vaguely familiar with Thiebaud's work, and knew very little about it. Like everyone else, his name brought to mind paintings of cakes and pastries. But it was so much more. I am always amazed at how even the best reproductions can't do justice to seeing art in person. I enjoyed the entire show, but most of all his landscapes and cityscapes. There was always more than one point of perspective, looking at trees face on and fields at almost an arial view. Streets would run straight up and down, the cars driving on them defying gravity. I loved how the pieces became about planes of color and texture. I believe the show will be heading back to California next, and is worth checking out if you can.

The rest of the weekend was spent mostly relaxing, movie watching, talking, and getting the kitchen ready to paint. I hope you all had a great weekend too!




No comments:

Post a Comment